Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Finally in the Field!

Hello,
So the field is a lot crazier than the MTC. AND a lot more scheduled, which is weird cause it was pretty structured in the MTC. I don't know if I will ever learn to like planning out every minute of the day. It's killing me. Hopefully I do eventually. My companion said he is going to plan out his whole day when he gets home as well. I will definitely not be using a planner post mission. Anyway... So Spain is tough. It is really hard to actually teach a native Spaniard. Mostly we teach immigrants from other countries. But I think it's better because their accents are a little bit easier to understand. Oh, and let me tell you about my situation. I have absolutely no idea what is going on half the time. I just spend the time figuring out when to laugh, when to act surprised, and when to just smile. Then when I need to say the brief part of the lesson that I say, my companion looks at me. That is our sign to go. It's kind of a joke but people speak so fast. Plus I only know how to talk about the gospel. I am not able to just talk to someone past one or two lines of just a normal conversation. It's good though because I am learning a lot of patience, which is something I lack.
But yeah mom, Spanish names are funny. I swear we are teaching like 3 different people named Antonio or Carlos. But it is easier to remember names that way. How long are you two on your mission? I hope I am able to go to your ward when I get back sometime. Anyway, so my companion entered the MTC at 225. He is now at 180. So, there is hope for me! And I have already tightened a belt loop since being out in the field. We walk a lot, and the city we are in is very hilly. So, we get a lot of exercise. We also go running in the morning, so by the end of the day, my legs are pretty much dead. As soon as my head hits the bed, I am out. But it's good, because my mattress is way lumpy so if I actually had to be comfortable to be able to fall asleep, I would never sleep. But really, we only eat two meals a day here. Cereal in the morning, then whatever we make during mediodia. When we get home for the night, I never like eating right before we go to bed, so usually we just drink a lot of water and eat two meals a day. Oh, and I drink 5 liters of water a day, and only have to go to the bathroom like 3 times a day. So, you can imagine how much I sweat here. Mom, I don´t know how you served a mission in Paraguay and are able to complain so much about it being hot in your air conditioned house. I am getting use to just sweating all the time. I barely notice it at all anymore.
This week for service we are painting part of the piso we live in. Oh yeah, I should tell you about my area. We are in Toledo, which use to be the capital of Spain. It's like a giant castle thing with a moat. It's way pretty. The first part of the town was built in the third century. The piso we live in was built in the 14th century, like 100 years before Columbus was even born. So, it's pretty awesome. The missionaries before us left it really messy though. So we have had to spend some time getting it cleaned up. It's pretty nice though. Anyway, we are going shopping. Tenga una buena semana!

Elder Dunn

No comments:

Post a Comment