Friday, September 11, 2009

The Best Week

This week has been the best week of the mission so far. The first week we were here was rough, we didn't know many people and a lot of our appointments fell through and I don´t speak Spanish! So yeah, a little rough. Since Sunday we have taught about 8 lessons and none of our appointments have fallen through. It is amazing! We are currently teaching a new family, married parents with a kid and they have a member of their extended family who is a member. They are way nice and very religious so we are hoping for the best. We are teaching them again tonight and I am so excited. But mostly we have been teaching less actives and getting to know all the members. We drove 45 minutes on Monday to have family night with the bishop and these 2 less active families. It went well. The food was good and one of the families said they would come to church this week. I don´t know how much truth is in that but we will keep on praying. We also are teaching this less active who really doesn't believe in God anymore so it´s like teaching a totally new investigator. He speaks English ok so it's nice when I am sharing personal experiences to be able to say a word in English and not have to worry about all of the vocab. Helps me focus more on the message of my story and not just the words I am trying to say. But it was really good. He is definitely softening up. Our goal is the next Ward Mission Leader. So we will see how it goes. But the rest of the week is packed with solid appointments and a special zone conference and stuff so I am excited.
The language is getting a little better. We have talked to a couple people who speak very clear and slow, and I can pretty much understand everything they say. Sometimes I won´t know some words, but I still get the idea. Our bishop is a native Spaniard and speaks very quickly with a think Spanish accent. I don't know if I will be able to understand him when I leave this area. Yesterday for district meeting I was in charge of district snack. I wanted to make no-bakes because they are delicious. Well we didn't have oats, peanut butter, or vanilla so we used Nutella (a type of chocolate or something) and golden grams. They turned out really good. I was surprised. The cooking is getting better too. I love just frying chicken or some sort of meat and throwing some seasonings on it and mixing it with pasta and cheese. It is always delicious. We still going running almost every day, and today we are going to attempt a 6k run during the afternoon. So, it should be good....... If I live.
OH, and during interviews yesterday with President Watkins, he showed us the church news where President Monson is in the Catholic church. He said we should do the same, and go be friends with the Catholic leaders. So we are also going to try and talk to them and ask them if they have service opportunities and ask to take a tour of their churches. It is way cool, I am super excited about it. There are like 3 churches in Toledo, so should be fun. But yeah, I never know what to say in these letters. So, stay pretty family and friends.

Elder Dunn

No comments:

Post a Comment