Thursday, August 13, 2009

A Great Week

How goes it back in M-Town?

This week was really good. Learned lots. I will start with Saturday night. Usually we just practice teaching other missionaries with a given scenario, but apparently there was an EFY group here and our teacher knew the leader so we were able to teach a youth group. We taught Eduardo, a 15 year old. They were suppose to be investigators, so we started teaching him as an investigator. It wasn't really going anywhere because he didn't really know what to do and we couldn't understand him too well. So I followed a prompting and asked if I could share a scripture that has helped me in my life a lot. He said of course so I shared it and things calmed down and the spirit came and it turned into a really good lesson. He asked what scripture it was and said he really liked hearing it. I was like "cool, glad I listened to that prompting."

On another note, my district got to sing a special musical number in sacrament. My district has no musical talent whatsoever so it was way funny. I think I told you about how we sing every week on the temple plaza too. Anyway, the district that does the musical number in sacrament is invited to sing outside as well, but since we were horrible, we were just going to sing the first verse then everyone else was going to hop in. My district started laughing because two of them were a note ahead of the rest of us, anyway, I sang a duet with another Elder, for the first verse of I Know that My Redeemer Lives, in front of about 30 people because only 2 of us were able to keep it together. So yeah, it was pretty sweet. Oh, and there is a temple missionary here who also plays the organ for us when we are outside. She is from Kearns and taught Spanish there for like 30 years. In short, she reminds me of you, mom. She served her mission in Peru and talks a lot like you. But she lives like on 5600 south in Kearns. Weird. Another missionary couple is from Cottonwood Heights and he used to be principle at Brighton 3 years ago.

Ok, so next neat experience was teaching President Hill a lesson. In Provo, I had never been within 100 feet of the President of the MTC, but here I talk to him like 10 times a day and he is a spiritual giant. He has been mission president 3 times and has the coolest stories. He has like 50 stories where he meets someone, gives them a really sincere compliment, and says three weeks later they were baptized. So it's kind of the joke of the MTC now that whenever someone gives a compliment, we all say, "And 3 weeks later they were baptized." Anyway, we asked to teach him and when we got in there the spirit was just amazing. We wanted to focus on listening to our investigator, asking effective questions, and using the Book of Mormon better. So we did, and it was amazing. We didn't even teach any of the principles of the first lesson besides we have a Heavenly Father who loves us and he gave us a book to help us. We didn't even talk about Joseph Smith. After the lesson, he said that we did it exactly right. He said we taught him as a person, and not a lesson, asked great questions, and got him to think about how he needed this book. So I was really grateful for that experience and for what it taught me. I have been taught by some missionaries here that definitely just teach lessons and not people. And that isn't what I want to be. Elder Holland spoke to us in Provo and said to ask ourselves after every lesson, was the Holy Ghost the Sr. comp, Jr. comp, or not there at all. And I have learned as of recently what a huge difference it is when the Spirit can be the Sr. comp. Anyway, life is good. Like 11 days left? Yeah, I wish I knew how to speak Spanish... Anyway, love you all.

Elder Dunn

No comments:

Post a Comment