Thursday, August 20, 2009

Almost Time to Hit the Field!

Dear Family and Friends
This week has been really good for my studies but nothing very eventful. Last week at the park we didn't get any references or have any really good experiences. But my companion and I tried to be more bold and talk to everyone, even those who initially waved us off. One guy we started walking up to waved us off. We saw that he had a Prado Pamphlet near him so we just started talking to him about that. After awhile, he brought up religious topics. He asked, "So what do you even believe in?" I just was like wow, why do you wave us off when you know nothing about us or how much we want to help you! But we talked to him for like 25 minutes, and I think he started becoming more open to the idea of a God. He is atheist so we only talked about God and praying but it was really good. I have been trying to ask better questions when teaching so I was able to ask a couple of good ones that really made him stop and think. I felt really good about it. We would have made a reference but he lived in like Toledo or something and said he would be traveling for awhile. Oh, and more good news, on Saturday we got another new missionary whose passport came late, so now I am in a twosome again, which is great.
My companion and I teach really well together. We taught the President on Tuesday, and we were able to really use the Book of Mormon effectively and ask great questions. For his advice, he asked, "So what else could you have done?" My companion and I didn't know what else we could have done so we didn't say anything. He said, "Maybe ask the investigator if you could fast for him, or give him a blessing, or just do something bold!" I figured since he didn't tell us anything about the basic teaching skills we did pretty well teaching.
After this my companion and I made a goal to use the Book of Mormon more effectively. We took 2 small copies of a Book of Mormon and went through with our Big Book of Mormon and just highlighted key words that will help us apply the book to investigators. Now we are in the process of making an alphabetical index of the key words and writing it in the front of the Book of Mormon. I am not going to lie to you all, it is pretty much the best missionary tool I have. It's pretty sick.
I am also halfway through Jesus the Christ and I love it. It's great because it helps me with my English vocabulary and teaches me more about Christ. Speaking of language, you know how in Spanish, poder is to be able to? But in English, we just use the word, can. Example, You can dance. Puede bailar. So now in English, I find myself saying you are able to in place of can. It actually sounds more proper though, so I am ok with it.
Anyway, love it here, but ready to be out in the field on Tuesday. Crazy yeah? You are telling me. I thought I was learning Spanish, then they introduced present and past subjunctive. What a stupid principle! Who does that? So yeah, back to being frustrated with the language because pretty much you have to conjugate verbs different now even though they mean the same thing. Really, English verbs are like cake. I walk, you walk, we walk, they walk, he walks, almost all the same conjugation except with the he she form. But still, way easier. Oh and my P-day in Madrid is Wednesday. I get there Tuesday, have meetings and junk till like 7, then proselyte till 10 or 10 30 then have p-day. Gotta love summer schedule in Madrid. During the summer they arise at 7 30 and go to bed at 11 30. Then usually it´s 11-7. Anyway, have a good one.

Elder Dunn

No comments:

Post a Comment