Thursday, July 30, 2009

Where does the time go?

Hey how's it going?
Wow time here goes fast. It is already P-day again. I am fairly confident that I am going to leave the CCM in another 3 and a half weeks wondering where the time went and why I still do not know how to say anything in Spanish. But I am fairly sure that I might learn it in the field.

Last week at the park was quite an experience. We each got partnered with one of the Elders that has been here longer than us but that doesn't mean they speak any better. I knew more Spanish than my companion and that worried me a lot because I have a hard time understanding what natives are saying. I understood about 30-40% then just went by the Spirit and it worked out. I think Elder Sproul sent a picture of me and my companion talking to one guy. We talked to him for about 45minutes. Unfortunately, he wouldn't let us go and he didn't really listen to us for the first 30minutes. Then we finally got through to him and left him a pass-along card. If you could have talked to this guy, you would have known that just leaving that card was a TON of work. After, we were feeling kind of burnt out from listening very intently and trying to talk whenever he allowed us and we were just walking around not really planning on talking to anyone else. Then some guy kind of walked by us and looked at our nametags and asked who were we. We told him we were missionaries from the church and here sharing our message with Spain and blah blah. He was all like, oh, I don't really like my current church, can I have some of your reading material and can you teach me? I was like, OK, really? Totally caught me off guard but yeah, bore testimony to him and left him with a pamphlet and some other information and we got a reference card from him. That lifted up my spirits quite a bit. However, this is the last week with the older district here, so after this Saturday I am pretty much going to be with people at my same level of Spanish. I am going to try and get better at listening this next week. I can teach the first and second lesson all in Spanish and only miss a few conjugations here and there. So I feel comfortable reading writing and speaking, just not listening.
Anyway, finished the New Testament as well this week. That was pretty awesome, there are some crazy scriptures in that book. You can tell there is a lot of truth taken from it. Anyway, my companions are awesome. They are as sarcastic as me, and even more so sometimes. So after a long day of studying, it's really nice to just be able to talk with them and joke and relax. We have a good time here in Spain. One is from Kaysville and the other Las Vegas and the Kaysville companion and I know some of the same kids. It's crazy how little the world is. So I just got back from Sol a little bit ago. I bought 5 ties for 19 euros. Yeah they are way cheap and way sick too. Supposedly there is a store where ties are only 2 euros. So next week we might try and hit that store up. Plus we get paid next Wednesday, so I will have more money again.
Ok, one last funny story. My Kaysville companion liked this girl, and she broke up with her old boyfriend when he left on his mission. That was three weeks before he left on his. So for 3 weeks they got really close but nothing ever happened. Like 2 weeks into the MTC, he got a letter from her telling him that she wanted to marry him and is going to wait for him. She also proceeded to name all 7 of their future children and where they are going to live and go on their honeymoon and stuff. Isn't that funny? Yeah, just wait. So after he left, she got another boyfriend, so she wrote this letter while she had a boyfriend who she is currently kissing apparently because in the letter it said something like, whenever I kiss him I always pretend it is you! Yeah... I make fun of him constantly and tell him one day she is going to tell him it is a big joke. It hasn't happened yet, but I still think the whole situation is just pathetic. Anyway, love you all.

Elder Dunn

No comments:

Post a Comment