Monday, July 13, 2009

Leaving for Spain tomorrow!

Scott called last week to give me his flight plans and tell me he would be calling tomorrow. He only got to talk for five minutes so we didn't say much. Here is the letter received today.

Family and Friends!

Tomorrow I leave for Spain. I'm pretty excited. I talked to a teacher who served in Spain, and he gave me a few pointers and cleared up a few myths. I only have to use the awesome lisp on words with ci, ce, and z. So I don't think it will even be bad. I actually kind of like how it sounds. It also helps spelling supposedly, because in Spanish the s, c, and z all made the same sound. But with my super awesome lisp, I can more easily recognize how to spell words! He said he baptized 20-something people, and his brother who also served there baptized 18 people. So I am keeping my hopes high that I can work hard and baptize. He also said the food there is really good, kind of weird, but overall really good. So I am kind of nervous about putting on an additional 15 pounds. On a positive note, I have started stretching every night. For those of you who ever saw me try and touch my toes, you know how not flexible I am. But now, I can touch my toes! It's pretty awesome.

Our zone, along with a few others, has the privilege of testing the new chat feature of mormon.org. In the past, the church has spent a lot of money advertising on TV, and pass-along cards, and whatnot. But apparently they are going to shift their focus to advertising their website. So on mormon.org, there is a link to chat to a representative right now! And when someone clicks that, it comes to our computers and we get to talk to them. Occasionally we get a 14 year old looking for a laugh, but I have had several great experiences. One guy was a member of the military and said he times in his life where he felt alone, forgotten, and couldn't get certain images out of his head. I got to talk to him about prayer and the Atonement and I sent him a free Book or Mormon. He was really receptive and it was great. Having people come to you is much easier than going out and looking for people. I also got to send old ladies in the south bibles. They love calling in for a free bible. But they are way nice, and they also accept having the missionaries bring the bible and having them share a brief spiritual thought with them, It's great. Another guy I spent like 20 minutes talking to about whether we should worship on Saturday or Sunday. I had no idea there was so much debate in the world about which day is the real Sabbath, but after 20 minutes I just told him to pray and ask about it and told him about prayer. Ha, ha. It was kind of frustrating and pointless but still an experience. On Saturday, we have this event called the TRC/Game day. It's where we have a task in Spanish, like getting to know someone, or helping them move in, only talking in Spanish, and then we teach them a lesson. Every week it's something new, but the people are member volunteers who are really good at being investigators. My companion and I had a unique experience though, because when we were teaching about the Book of Mormon, we shared Ether 12:27 about weak things becoming strong, and she broke down and really opened up to us as a real person. We then shared how the Book of Mormon had helped us in our lives. She had been having a problem recently and said we shared exactly the scripture and stories that she needed to hear. It was pretty awesome because that usually doesn't happen.

Anyway, good week last week. I have no idea when I will be emailing next week, but wish me luck in Spain! Love you all.

Elder Dunn

No comments:

Post a Comment