Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Don't forget Scott's address changed.

Elder Dunn
Calle Fuerteventura 4 2, Oficina 8-B
28703 San Sebastian de los Reyes
Madrid Spain

Alright, well your questions answered.

There are always a million interesting teaching and contacting stories. Just the amount of space and time is limited to write. I will tell you a super sweet one then a super funny one. So some Spanish lady answered a door when we were knocking, I think she was just being nice to us and not slamming the door, but it turned out to be a super good contact. My companion and I both just ended up bearing testimony about having a purpose in life and it looked liked she was impacted a little bit. Then she said she is going on vacation, like any good Spaniard, but that we should call her in 2 weeks. Then, the next day, as we were walking through the park here, a bunch of youth starting saying stuff. Whenever they talk first, it automatically means they are going to listen to us. So we go over and start talking to them, and it was going pretty well. But one of the kids, trying to be funny, just kept hitting on my companion. They invited us to come play cards with them sometime, and we agreed as long as the kid isn't there or isn't making gay jokes the whole time. It was actually super funny cause my companion didn't know what he was saying really, and was responding to him. When we don't understand a question, we usually just say ¨si¨. So my companion actually agreed to a back rub, without knowing it. Then I told him that we had to go. Ha, ha. Good times.

I should be sending home the driver's license junk today. And yes, I can make paella. It's really not too hard, you just need the pan. I will probably buy a big one when I come home. You can feed like 20 people with it. AND it is definitely not cooling off. My garments now just carry a yellow tint permanently. I am also thinking about buying others, but I want to use my resources the best I can, aka on more European pants. So we will see what happens. I loved the piso in Toledo, but because it was super old and a piece of junk. The one here is super big and super nice and we have a patio, so I don't complain, but I still sometimes miss living in a super old piso. My ward is like the 2nd biggest ward in the mission. One hundred and eighty to 200 people, which is why our bishop and the stake want to divide it, we just need a building. I never speak in this ward, but this Sunday I am teaching gospel doctrine class. No, not really, I will be using their class time but to do a, 'How to be member missionary without scaring people away class.' Should be good. I will probably be teaching most of it seeing as it's a pretty complex vocabulary for a greenie. I haven't really been anywhere new but next week we want to go to Valle de los Caidos, valley of the fallen, and do a little hike, take a picture of the giant cross thing, and go to church there or something. We will see.

Well that was a mess of a paragraph. I think I will throw in something that after being a member of the church for 20 years, I never learned until now. We are the only church that I know of, that is not based in any book, nor in the best interpretations of those books. We are based on the current and actual word of God. We use the Bible, we use the Book of Mormon, we use D&C and the Pearl of Great Price, but they only have their set value. Today, we listen to a true prophet of God. Not any other church has that. I learned this from a lesson, and by a lesson I mean every lesson with a Romanian, they say, I will read your book to see if it is in line with the Bible. I ask, will you ask God if its true. They say, it's true if it's in accordance with the Bible. I say, well what if there is something here that isn't in the bible, then what? They say it's not true. I say, and what if God says it is!?! They say, God won't say it because it's against the Bible. So many churches limit their potential by limiting God. God is not a book. God is not several books. We cannot limit God, but in the attempt we will limit us and our knowledge. I show Romanians every day scriptures in the bible that talk about a prophet, twelve apostles, and the seventy. I ask, will you pray to see if these men are men called of God? They say, give me their words and I will read them and see if it is in accordance with the Bible. I just don't understand how people say they believe in God, but really don't believe in anything but a book. If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask the Bible? or God? So I was thinking about this, and in the Liahona, Ensign here, there was a super cool talk about this. First, Abraham knew that killing was not OK. Then, he received a new commandment to kill his son, one that went in contrary to another previous commandment. Then he received another commandment, that was directly contradicting the one the Lord previously gave 5 minutes ago. And if he would have obeyed the first, and not the second, he would have committed a sin, and been found guilty. But, by obeying the living word of a living God, he was guided and was able to obey. We are not based in books, nor in the interpretations of man, but we are based in the current and actual word of God. Pretty sweet huh? I am sure a lot of people have realized this, but I never really thought about it until recently.

On a lighter note, we were in church and this member, that we know a little bit but not that well, and doesn't speak hardly any English, walks past us, looks at me, and says, "You are so fat." I said, "Wow, I didn't know we were that close of friends." Then I made fun of him for having the silliest European mullet haircut thing. So it worked out.
Stay pretty.
Elder Dunn

No comments:

Post a Comment