Friday, April 16, 2010

Learning New Things...Not All Good.

Mom,

I will answer your question with a question. What are duds? Clothes? Last week we went to Segovia and explored a castle and some caves, hence shirt and tie not necessary. And again I forgot my camera cord, but this time I have a better excuse. I remembered when we left to do internet, but realized that it's in my piso in Arganda, and we were doing exchanges so, yeah.

And yeah, transfers are every 6 weeks and I will definitely stay. President likes to keep senior companions in their areas for 6-8 months. So really, I will probably serve in 3 areas, and a maximum of 4. The old president transferred way more often. But, oh well. I won't complain because we have some sick members here. And I will be teaching Romanians until I leave this area. I think this pueblo is about 35% Romanians, 10% South Americans, 35% Spaniards, and 20% gypsies. We don't teach gypsies because they are probably the ugliest group of people on the earth. I am aware of the missionary attitude that I should have but wow, I wish I could send pictures. They have neighborhoods of just gypsies and it works kind of like the mafia. There is like the Godfather and then leaders. And you don't go into gypsy neighborhoods during the night without permission from the Godfather or you get mugged real good. All these people do to live is steal mug and deal drugs. We attempted to contact two of them and during the contact 2 of their kids came up and spit on us. Like kids with 10 years old. And the parents just laughed. I can only imagine what you would do to me if I spit on anyone, let alone missionaries. But yeah, then we have one area in our zone that we aren't allowed to go into. The police don't even enter. My companion says it's probably just like his hometown ha, ha... but we still avoid it. Some missionaries have entered and they described it as the 7th level of hell. People shooting up, bonfires in the large barrels, drunk people laughing and shouting and nothing and nobody, and other stuff that need not be described. So yeah, more than anything I have learned about gypsies this past week. I really want to watch The Hunchback of Notre Dame to see how accurate that movie is.

Anyway, work goes well, Spanish is great, church is true. We are teaching a 16 year old girl who is dating a 38 year old member who is a returned missionary. Ha, ha. They are both way awesome but really, only in Spain... But, she is a Spaniard and said she wants to be baptized so sweet. Giddy-up. FYI... going to Sol today, which is like downtown, and I may buy some clothes.

Thanks, love you! Stay pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment