Thursday, October 22, 2009

A Good Hair Day

Hello from Spain,
Last night, it rained pretty good. It was pretty awesome. Cold, but awesome. I think it gets colder here sooner than in Utah. Every morning during studies, I am wrapped up in a blanket. However, we also don't have heat. So maybe that is it. But there have been some cold mornings.
I am glad you received the Hanson's email and picture. The funny thing about that is only on Thursday do I do my hair like that. Well not even every Thursday, but last Thursday I did. We have our weekly planning session every Thursday and last week we had some extra time so I spent a fair amount of time making my hair ridiculous. It helps repel Spanish women. But yeah, things are a little better now with the companionship and the language. I actually I spoke Spanish while it was a rule, the mission president said that new missionaries don't have to speak all day, they just have to make goals with their companions on when to speak and always try and get better. So...that made it a little better. But I have to tell you, at first it was terrible. I actually started feeling more confident with time. So now my companion and I only speak Spanish during proselyting hours but try to speak it more all the time. So it's better. And also he is gradually becoming more normal. He now asks me question of how things were when I left, so we actually talk now! It's great.

I read Richard's letter and he said how his mission has 900 baptisms and a goal of 1100 or so. Yup, we have like 150 this year and a goal of 250. Ha, ha. Go Spain! And Elder Jon Clark won't even tell me how many baptisms he has. I am guessing quite a few.

Anyway, cool things that happened. We were knocking a street, and we had absolutely no luck. We had 3 kids following us mocking us the whole time, some guy used some expression that only is used for dogs and half the people were convinced we were Jehovah's Witness missionaries. Almost everyone hates Jehovah's Witnesses here - not sure exactly why yet. Our appointment was at 6 with some members and their less active son. At about 5:58 we had one more house on the street to contact. We debated just going or not and I am like, "Let's just finish the street." So we did and some Spaniard woman answered the door. She told us she wanted nothing to do with us either. BUT, we explained that we weren't Jehovah's Witnesses and then she listened to us. We kind of half taught her the restoration through the door but she was pretty good. Anyway, going to teach her Saturday. May not sound that big but first, a SPANIARD agreed to let us in. That does not happen very often. Next, a Spaniard WOMAN agreed to let us in. That happens even less. And it was the last house on the street. So it was cool. Important lesson learned from it.

Qué mas? Oh, and as for the money, I pulled out 100 euros for my emergency fund, but I am going to have to buy a jacket, scarf, and gloves here soon. I am just waiting to see what the mission home has first. Also, I think I am going to get my eyes checked here then have you send me contacts or something. They are getting worse. Also, don't worry. I started writing my Christmas list 3 weeks ago. I have no idea if that is normal or not, but yeah. And no, we aren't aloud to upload pictures. So when my camera gets a little more full I will make a CD of all my pictures and send that home. Right now I only have about 80 pictures.
Anyway - going to play some ping pong with some natives. Love you all. Stay Pretty

Elder Dunn

No comments:

Post a Comment