Wednesday, September 15, 2010

I Chose To Be A Missionary

Dear Parents,

You have tags now? That's way cool. Dad and I can exchange name tags without problems. Sweet. (The parents are also serving as Hispanic Initiative missionaries and have new name tags in Spanish)

Since you always talk about the dogs, I will talk about how I talk about dogs. I don't know why, but here in my new area, there are a ton of Miniature Schnauzers. So, I decided to start talking to everyone who had one, and just show them my pictures. It's funny because the people love talking about their dogs, just like you, so it's been a pretty effective way of contacting Spaniards. And it's always funny because people that have Schnauzers tend to have the same personality. Don't have the slightest idea why.

And yes, I kind of accepted living at home. (Scott is thinking about transferring to the Uof U) But I also figure if I live at home, you will buy me more things, so I think it will be okay. Plus I might actually study. Maybe. And yes, the health issues have been resolved. Modern medicine eh?

I am racking my brain with other interesting things from last week. Yesterday I did exchanges with a fairly new missionary. I definitely am super grateful for my ability with the language. I don't miss not knowing what is going on. Actually right now a huge problem in our zone is the lack of missionaries speaking Spanish and the lack of contacting that happens. We have no idea what we can even do more than remind people that they chose to come here. I guess something that caught my attention a lot from this week is that seeing miracles is an act of agency. We choose to see them. I don't think a lot of missionaries realize that, so it's really hard to help people who don't believe. My companion and I, who is my soul mate, sometimes just hug at night for long periods of time because we both want to work and like it. He has had some pretty difficult companions his mission.

Okay, yeah I got a story. So, we live on the 4th floor, and right across the street from us, on the 4th floor, there is another piso. So, after working, we were in the kitchen preparing mate, and we noticed like 8 girls in this piso. So, we just start like flexing, doing push-ups, just being as dumb as possible. Then, we had an American flag hanging up on the wall, so we decided to put it out the kitchen window. We did it while speaking English really loud. The girls just started laughing hysterically and said in English, do you speak Spanish? We say a little, in Spanish. They said, party, here, tonight. We said, in Spanish, it's just we can't jump that far. They laughed and tried to talk but we decided to leave the room or something. Well, we sort of talked to them, maybe awkward smiles, across the street, and laughs at them the rest of the night. Anyway, later that night, when we were sleeping, someone rang the doorbell. This woke me up, and my companion, but he didn't remember because he was drugged up on sleeping pills, and then I just proceeded to hear a lot of footsteps and girls' voices. I was a little worried for my well being, but my laziness and tiredness kept me in my bed, don't even worry. But yeah, so there is the danger of having an incredibly good looking companion and a sexy American accent.

Okay, stay pretty. Elder Dunn

No comments:

Post a Comment